Construction sites require materials and equipment to complete projects on time and on budget. These items are typically valuable to the contractors and owners who purchased them, but that also makes them valuable to thieves who are looking to make a quick dollar. In other situations, vandals might be more interested in blowing off steam by graffiting or destroying construction sites than in stealing what they can to resell.
Construction site security cameras are thus essential to securing and protecting your construction investments. Repairing and replacing equipment or building materials can be costly for contractors and site owners, but most vandals and thieves will keep their distance if you have camera systems posted on-site. Here’s what you need to know about construction site security systems and how they can protect your bottom line.
What Is Needed To Keep The Site Safe
You need proper monitoring systems and construction site security cameras to capture video on your site and keep it safe from intruders, thieves, and those looking for mischief. There are many types on the market, but the most effective include mobile components to allow for off-site monitoring off-site and safe storage. Here are some things to keep in mind when selecting yours.
- Wire-free systems with multiple cameras help negate blind spots.
Many construction sites do not have power hooked up or are not connected around the clock, meaning choosing a system that is wire-free and battery-powered will ensure your security team stays in operation. Depending on your project’s size, you may need to adjust the number of cameras to be able survey the entire construction site. You’ll want enough to have every corner and entrance covered to prevent trespassers.
- Inventorying your materials helps you know what to protect.
Before installing your security system, it is important to have an inventory list of the materials, equipment, and other items stored on the property. Tracking your inventory is another way to prevent it from going missing, and allows your security team to be aware of what they are watching and who might be tempted to take or damage it. You’ll also want to make sure the team is aware of any scheduled after-hours maintenance or deliveries so they do not inadvertently report your vendors or partners as trespassers.
- Highlighting target areas gives your security team priorities.
Each construction site has a target area where vandals and thieves focus their attention. In many cases, these are storage facilities or materials stored in dark corners. Ensure that these areas are well lit with security lights if power is available or battery-operated motion-sensors to capture movement after hours.
Taking basic precautions will help mitigate security risks and help make your security team’s job a lot easier. Making sure that that team has the right gear is also important.
Must-Haves for Top-Notch Security
It’s one thing to install a mobile security system for your construction site, but it’s another to select one with elements that go above and beyond to keep your project secure. The best take advantage of the following construction site security cameras gear for 24-hour protection and surveillance.
- Units with four camera views
- CCTV connectivity for remote monitoring
- Live monitoring from 6 pm – 6 am
- Strobe lighting in red and blue
- Motion triggers for cameras and recording
- Stored video with time-lapse for review
- License plate reader option
- Mobile app connected to the system
- 24/7 remote monitoring team for real-time responses
Construction sites often house thousands of dollars in equipment and materials for each project, and no manager or owner wants to take a financial hit that hard. A good mobile security system includes the equipment to identify successful perps and recover stolen items, giving you both preventive measures and recovery options to safeguard your bottom line as well as your gear.
A security technician can come and install this gear for you so you know it is working properly. The number of units you need for your system depends completely on the size and where you want surveillance when you are not working on the site.
Optional security gear such as license plate readers is available with these state-of-the-art CCTV systems. You can upgrade your system to include various options for your security needs and satisfaction, including eco-friendly setups that operate on solar energy.
Purchase vs. Rental Security Property
If you plan to purchase your construction site security cameras system outright, you will have to pay full cost for these items upfront. Here are a few things to consider:
- Choosing construction site security cameras that is top-tier and high-definition can quickly become costly, especially when used on only a handful of construction sites over time or if you need multiple systems to cover multiple sites simultaneously.
- You will also need to provide salaries and pay security professionals to monitor the location and video surveillance to call for assistance at the first sign of trouble.
- If you are just starting and have made a large investment in your site, you may not be able to afford to purchase security equipment or hire the personnel to make it effective.
When you rent this equipment and services, you outsource operational cost. That includes:
- Not having to pay full price for the items you are using
- Access to the highest quality equipment in the industry
- The ability to rent as many units as needed for your site
- Having security gear that is portable, waterproof, and provides remote access
Opting to rent security equipment and construction site security cameras come with access to expert security professionals who monitor your site around the clock or during specified times, whichever you prefer. These individuals often have previous careers in law enforcement or military, meaning they also have an eye for details and are ready to provide top-tier service.
Are You In Need of Construction Site Security Cameras?
If you have one or more construction sites that need to be properly secured for surveillance, our Mobile Video Guard team is here to help. One of our representatives will assist you with a consultation concerning the construction site security cameras and gear your property needs. Reach out to us today for more information about our security packages and securing your construction site.